A 4-star luxury hotel dripping with antebellum charm, Hotel Monteleone is a family-owned slice of quintessential New Orleans. Built in the Beaux Arts style, this beautiful and stately building opened in 1886 and is now part of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The local literary crowd loves the hotel and its revolving Carousel Bar for its ties to renowned Southern writers.
This grand hotel is as much a literary landmark as it is an architectural one. Writers like Tennessee Williams, Ernest Hemingway, and William Faulkner were all regulars at the lobby Carousel Bar in its heyday, and the hotel offers literary author suites, each dedicated to a famous writer from the American South who either visited or wrote about Hotel Monteleone. The hotel is also a popular high-end option for overnight visitors looking for luxurious rooms with amenities like a fitness center, pool, and room service just steps away from French Quarter attractions.
Things to know before you go
- Southern-inspired fine dining is on the menu at the hotel’s Criollo Restaurant.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in all guest rooms and the hotel lobby.
- A heated rooftop pool is a great place to cool off during hot New Orleans summers.
- The hotel is pet friendly (with an additional fee) and offers special packages to pamper your pooch.
- The wheelchair accessible entrance is on Bienville Street. Fully accessible guest rooms are available on request.
How to get there
Hotel Monteleone is located in the French Quarter at 214 Royal Street. Paid valet parking is available for a nightly fee, and airport shuttles can be booked to reach the hotel from Louis Armstrong International Airport. The hotel is within walking distance to all French Quarter attractions, and on public transit lines including streetcar 12 and buses 15, 16, 32, 62, 65, and 106.
When to get there
The hotel accepts reservations 365 days a year and the Carousel Bar is open from 11am until midnight. Check-in time is 4pm and checkout time is 12pm.
Royal Street: New Orleans’s Antique Row
The Hotel Monteleone sits right on the most fashionable street in the French Quarter—the aptly named Royal Street. A favorite destination for antique shoppers and art collectors, the street is packed with galleries and other eye-catching storefronts displaying vintage goods and locally made merchandise. To make a shopping stroll even easier, the blocks between St. Louis and St. Ann streets are closed to car traffic between 11am and 4pm. Fuel your treasure hunt with a classic Creole lunch at standout eateries like Brennan’s or the Court of the Two Sisters.
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Nashville
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Georgia
- Steamboat Natchez
- Hard Rock Cafe New Orleans
- Storyville District
- Musical Legends Park
- Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC)
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
- Napoleon House
- New Orleans School of Cooking
- New Orleans Pharmacy Museum
- Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium
- Court of Two Sisters
- Preservation Hall
- French Quarter
- 1850 House