Head to the historic market on a guided tour—both private and small-group tours are available—to get a local guide to show you around the otherwise overwhelming South Hall Market. The warehouse-style building houses stalls brimming with produce, flowers, cheese, meat, fish, and more alongside deli and bakery counters. As you stroll the isles, your guide can help you find the top local crafts, antiques, and canned goods. On weekends, the market expands outside into the streets, where local farmers and craftsmen set up stands for produce and handmade wares.
Things to Know Before You Go
*Eastern Market is a great place for Washington DC visitors to pick up authentic, non-generic souvenirs.
- Be prepared for crowds and waiting in line, the market is popular amongst locals and visitors alike.
- Don’t miss the crab cake sandwiches and the blueberry pancakes at Market Lunch—the most famous food vendor in the market.
- While the market is wheelchair and stroller accessible, narrow isles combined with crowds can make it difficult to navigate. If traveling by wheelchair, arrive early to beat the crowds.
How to Get There
With its own Metro stop just a block from the market’s entrance, riding the Metro is easily the most convenient way to reach Eastern Market—take the Blue, Orange, or Silver lines to the Eastern Market stop. Public parking is limited, so it is best to avoid driving to the market.
When to Get There
The market is open every day except Mondays. For an expanded open-air market with additional farm stands, crafts stalls, and live music, visit on the weekend. If you want to get some shopping done without the crowds, arrive early in the morning.
The Best Farmers Markets in Washington DC
Washington DC boasts so many farmers markets that it is possible to visit a different neighborhood market every day of the week. The Dupont Circle Farm Fresh Market is a must on Sundays—enjoy the neighborhood’s eclectic flare. Looking for a Saturday market, try 14 and U Farmers Market or the Arlington Farmers Market. Midweek, head to Foggy Bottom for a Wednesday afternoon market.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Washington DC Chinatown
- Folger Shakespeare Library
- Capitol Hill
- Library of Congress
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument
- U.S. Capitol
- United States Treasury Building
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- United States Botanic Garden
- Ulysses S. Grant Memorial
- Japanese American Memorial
- Congressional Cemetery
- Union Station
- National Postal Museum